Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Real Salt Lake takes the MLS Cup for the first time

I sat and watched the MLS Cup like I do every year. It was the high priced LA Galaxy vs. the under dogs Real Salt Lake. The Galaxy was a favorite to win it but who could predict what happened?

Javier Morales and David Beckham both went in for the hard challenge and Morales got the bad end of the deal as both knee knocked. As a former player I have had this happened and I promise it doesn't feel good. Luckily I was able to play after 2 minutes. Morales unfortunately could not and felt like pond scum as a result despite the comforts of his coach, Jason Kries. The other downside was he had to put in Clint Mathis. Now Mathis at one time was a player who nobody in the MLS would mind having on the team with his goal scoring talent. Somewhere during the World Cup 2002 his value slipped and I only have seen glimpses of his former self. Only thing he is good for is getting sent off on a second caution for throwing temper tantrums.

Then Dovonan Ricketts gets his hand smashed. They try to keep him in the game, but after the goal against him (which I really don't blame his injury for), Ricketts takes of his glove as if he was saying to Arena, "Hey man, I'm hurt. Please take me out." Luckily Josh Saunders is a very close second string because he really came up big in saves.

Referee Kevin Stott... I wonder how he got this assignment. I do remember him to be 10-15 pounds lighter and able to run really fast. I guess age and comfort has gotten to him. You would think after he was a part of that World Cup SNAFU where 3 cautions was issued to the same player he would have woken up a bit.

He let a lot go. I know I know. They want flow, but Stott in my opinion forgot about 100% safty and 100% misconduct because there was plenty and then plenty enough protests to let you know, "We don't want that much flow!"

Now while I hate to see a championship go to kicks from the mark, I was really shocked Landon Donovan screwed that up big time. I thought of Roberto Baggio in World Cup '94. I'm sure Donovan felt like him at the time.

Beckham...Well while there was improvement in the team, I think he is still pissed they didn't win the MLS cup. I just wonder if he comes back for the another season after his stint with AC Milan.



No comments:

Post a Comment