Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Is it just me...

...or has a good number of people lost common sense? I was refereeing and watching games and the one game I watched, I noticed not one, not two, but three different occasions where spectators entered the field and cross the front of the goal. One of those knuckleheads was on a cell phone. And they say texting and driving is bad.

On Saturday, I watched as several referees were just inappropriately dressed. What is inappropriately dressed? Two of the 3 referees were wearing the long pants and several were wearing anything but black shoes. If that was the least of our problems, I would be semi-okay with this.

However, I saw very little effort out of these referees. No running after the play. One game 2 of the 3 goals that were scored the referee was in the defensive half, not even trying to run. Unacceptable under any circumstance.

I was surprisely happy that, while he didn't have the right footwear, he was making the best effort which was better then the 98% combined that I observed. I went way out of my way to praise him. Get him a new pair of shoes and he is golden.

The following day I observed a final game. It was good to watch but a lot of critical errors happened in that game and had one team capitalized on it, would have made the game subject to appeal. First this idiot of a photographer was on the goal line taking pictures. By the time anyone notice this, there was a shot on goal...which hit the photographer, on the goal line. What the referee should have done was stopped the match right then and there. Restarted with a dropped ball. What does he do? He lets play continue. As a result, the attacking team almost got a goal, but it didn't happen. Lucky for the referee.

Second match incident, the game goes into overtime. Nobody scores, so when the final whistle is blown, nobody keeps the players off the field and on the field. As a result they don't know who was the 8 that was on the field. Luckily the one team that wasn't guilty won it. The soccer gods really smiled at the referee that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment